The Classic Victoria Sandwich
Cake, what a great way to start my foodie posts! The reason for making a Victoria sponge today is that I have American relatives coming to stay. So, nothing better than a traditional British cake to represent our culture. Sorry about the old fashioned measurements. I got the recipe from my mum who got it from her mum!
For cake: 6oz caster sugar 6oz butter/margarine 6oz self-raising flour 3 eggs Vanilla Essence (optional) Raspberry jam
Now I never use an exact recipe for buttercream. I just add butter, icing sugar and a splash of milk until I get the amount and consistency that I want.
- Preheat an oven to 180’c
- Line 2 identical circular cake tins with baking paper
- Put the sugar and margarine in a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy
- Add the flour, eggs and vanilla essence to the bowl
- Stir until smooth and spoon evenly into the cake tins
- Put the cakes in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked all the way through
- Whilst in the oven, make the buttercream by stirring together the butter, icing sugar and milk
- Leave the cakes to cool once out of the oven
- Once cooled, spread the buttercream and jam on one of the cakes, then place the other cake on top
- You can now eat or continue the process by decorating (I cheat and just use ready to roll icing!)
Enjoy! Megan x