As I am off to university on Saturday, I have been giving a lot of thought as to how I will manage as a self-catered student. It seems to me that most people in this situation end up relying on takeaway pizzas and Pot Noodle. However, this is both unhealthy and ends up being more expensive.
Alors, here are a few of my suggestions to make the most out of a self-catered lifestyle:
- Opt for healthier options (e.g. the fruit and veg aisle) as this is cheaper than the sugar or ready-meal alternative.
- Cook in large batches. Cheap and you can freeze portions to make cooking dinner after a long day less stressful.
- If you get on well with your flatmates, suggest cooking some meals together, it will save you some cash
A few ideas of dishes:
- Bolognese is always a crowd pleaser, which can then be served with pasta, potato, cous cous or rice.
- Go Oriental with some sweet-and-sour chicken and noodles, very quick and easy to cook.
- Don’t be afraid to explore your inner-chef. All-in-one meals like frittatas are both nutritious and reduce washing up!
Cost is a big factor for students, so it is important to budget as much as possible. Look for prize draws at the bottom of receipts or student discounts. Local markets are cheap option for fruit and veg!
Hope these ideas are helpful!