I previously blogged this recipe on charliiandmeg a while back, but have decided that I should give the recipe to everyone who is currently following me.
I invented this cake a long time ago due to a) my love of cake b) the AMAZING combination that is chocolate and raspberries and c) the experimental cook with me.
This particular cake proved to be a success and it is a bake that I have produced quite a few times over the years. The mix of chocolate and raspberries is perfection in my eyes. The sweetness of the raspberries complement the bitterness of dark chocolate, managing to keep the sponge moist simultaneously.
So, here we go:
100g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
100g butter or margarine (marge makes a light sponge in my opinion)
A good handful of dark chocolate chips
A punnet of raspberries (or 2 if you want sauce as well)
A sprinkling of icing sugar (to sweeten the sauce, or just to make it look pretty!)
- Preheat an oven to 180’c
- Grease the base of a round cake tin
- Wash the raspberries and leave them to dry (otherwise they are wet and make the cake soggy!)
- Cream the margarine and sieved flour in a bowl
- Add the sugar and eggs to the marge and flour mixture and fold until smooth and creamy
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Scatter the raspberries evenly on the bottom of cake tin (you may want to cover them in a bit more flour to stop them leaking as much)
- Pour the cake mix over the raspberries, making sure there is an even distribution of cake mix.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown (if unsure, put a skewer in the cake and if it comes out clean, it’s done!)
- Once out of oven, leave to cool before taking out of tin as it may crack otherwise
- Now the good part! You can eat it! If you wanted an extra touch, you could whip up a quick raspberry sauce/coulis by juicing some raspberries and adding a bit of icing sugar to balance any sharpness)
Hope you enjoy this cake! If there is anything you think I have left out, do let me know!